Tuesday, February 14, 2017
How To Make Italian Fried Green Tomatoes
Serves 6 to 8
2 pounds of green tomatoes
6 slices of provolone cheese
Less than 1 ½ pan filled with canola cooking (will need to repeat this step 2 times if cooking for a larger group)
Italian bread crumbs
1 tablespoon of Goya Adobo pepper seasoning
2 Egg Land’s Best eggs, beaten
1 tablespoon of sweet basil
How to Make Green Tomatoes
1. Green tomatoes should be sliced into medium quarters; this gives the tomato the best frying consistency.
2. Add 1 cup of Italian bread crumbs to mixing bowl, place beaten eggs aside, turn stove top burner to 1 quarter below medium heat, and add canola oil to cooking pan.
3. Season both sides of green tomatoes with sweet basil, add 1 tablespoon of Goya Adobo seasoning to egg batter.
4. Dip in green tomatoes in egg batter one at a time, roll both sides in Italian bread crumbs, and immediately add tomatoes into cooking frying pan. Turn heat up to medium, and pan fry for 10 to 12 minutes, turn over green tomatoes 2 times to give it that golden brown texture.
5. Top off green tomatoes with a moderate slice of provolone cheese, let melt on top of tomato while still in frying pan. Remove immediately from frying pan, place tomatoes on a paper towel to drain off excess oil and serve right away with a glass of red or white zinfandel.
Photo Credit: Andy Melton 2008 -- Wikimedia Commons