Wednesday, March 8, 2017
Red, White and Blue Clams Casino Seafood Lovers Dish
Serves 6 to 8
2 dozen cherry-stone clams
2tbls of olive oil
1tbls 50/50 smart balance butter blend
½ cup finely minced Spanish onion
¼ cup finely chopped green pepper
2 fresh peeled garlic cloves or spice world chopped garlic
1 cup Italian bread crumbs
4 slices cooked crispy bacon/crumpled
1/2 teaspoon oregano
2tbls grated Parmesan cheese
¼ cup chopped parsley
Liberal amount of paprika
Small amount of olive oil to taste
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees
2. Thoroughly rinse and scrub clams, discard any that are open. Place clams on a baking sheet and bake until the shells open, remove meat from shell. Finely chop clams, discard one half shells.
3. Heat 50/50 smart balance butter blend and cooking oil in saute pan. Add chopped garlic, green pepper and onion, saute ingredients until tender. Remove from heat and let cool.
4. Add chopped bacon, bread crumbs, and oregano and Parmesan cheese. Add clams to mixture, mix up all ingredients well.
5. Clam shells that have been saved – begin to fill in clam mixture. Sprinkle parsley and paprika; finally, drizzle with olive oil. Bake Red, White and Blue Clams Casino for 8 minutes, should be golden brown on top. Immediately serve while clam dish hot from the oven.
Photo Credit: Sheri W. -- Wikimedia Creative Commons -- via Flickr